12 Tags of 2012

June - Saartje

It was a stormy evening and thankfully I had finished all my laundry ealier in the day, so I decided to spend my evening at my art desk.

I've spent a few minutes each day for the last several days looking for JUST the right picture to use on my June tag for Tim Holtz's - 12 Tags of 2012.
I had even printed out a couple of photographs and attempted to tint them with the Distress Inkpad like Tim shows on his blog.
It just wasn't working for me.  No matter how I did it, it just looked so fake and definitely NOT what I was going for.

So today I decided to take the digital way out and used Lightroom and Photoshop
to tint the photo and now I'm a happy camper!
I tinted her dress a very pale pink and her hair a pale brown but I couldn't get the lighting right so that the pink would show up.
Again I am taking pictures late and night instead of the daytime and the light was bouncing off the photo paper making it hard to get it just right.
I used Vintage Photo and Wild Honey Distress Inks as the main inks on my tag and had fun digging out all my little Idea-ology trinkets.


This is a photograph of my grandmother Saartje (Sarah) Schepel in Haarlem in The Netherlands
when she was about 3 years old,
so I used the 3 on the tiny file tab.  She was born in 1899, and the photograph is from 1902.

I didn't have the tiny numbers - only the large size and since I already had her age on the file tab, I really didn't want another number.
So I dug in my stash of little charms and found a couple of hearts that went together.

The letters for her name were given to me my a co-worker and are very old gold stick-on letters.  I tinted them a bit with Vintage Photo and Wild Honey Distress Inks and for some reason they look
browner in the picture than they really are on the tag.  They really are a nice
muted but shiny gold, with the inks taking just the edge off the shine,
so they don't look out of place on the tag. 

Well it's late and I guess I better call it a night and get my late night chores done.  It's back to work again tomorrow.  Where oh where did this weekend go?

 

Comments

Jenny Marples said…
This is just beautiful - I love that you've put your own spin on the design and made it personal. Lovin' the Wild Honey too as it's become a personal favourite recently (distressed but not 'in your face' shabby). Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Buttons x
Jen said…
What a beautiful tag Anna. Absolutely love it.
Heather said…
I love this! I love that it is a special picture and not just a random old photo. Maybe that is why i have not tried this yet...now I may do one of MY grandmother!!! :)
thanks for the inspiration!
Redanne said…
Anna, I love your tag, it is absolutely gorgeous. Lovely photo and it will make a lovely keepsake for you. Great colours and embellishments too. A x
Just breath taking! Love that this was a photo of your Grandmother...it's wonderful when it's personal! Beautiful work!

Popular posts from this blog

I Sing the Song of my People...

Tim Holtz -Tag Tags of 2013

Mixing it Up loves Cottonwood Arts