One Stencil - Three Ways

Stuck in the Sixties

I've been very nostalgic lately and have been on a 60s kick with Sirius XM 60s of 6 playing in my truck and reliving my hippie wanna be days.  As I was going through my A Colorful Life Designs  stencils this past weekend, I thought this Flowers Gone Wild stencil would be perfect for some 60s themed cards.

I had hoped to get better pictures, but it has been gloomy and overcast since the weekend and I haven't been able to get any decent light, so I decided to go with the shots I have.  I ran out of playtime this weekend or there would have been several more cards using this stencil.  It is SO fun to work with!

Messy, Clean and Colorful


Flowers Gone Wild Stencil

All cards were done on Yupo medium weight that I picked up at my local art store.  It can also be found in the art section at Hobby Lobby and also as part of the Tim Holtz line of products.  I love working on Yupo!  It works great for alcohol inks, and embossing pastes and gels go on so smooth.  It also die cuts beautifully and cuts like a dream with my Cricut.  You can also use it with embossing folders.  (I'll do a post on that soon)

For the colorful card on the right I used Ranger Texture Paste.  This paste goes on smooth and creamy.  It looks white when applying but dries to a clear and glossy type finish.   (Sorry, I forgot to get a picture of that stage)

I allowed the stenciled background to dry a couple of hours and then I used several pink, orange and green alcohol inks...some Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks and Alcohol Pearls, and a pink from Brea Reese, added some 91% isopropyl alcohol and blew the inks all around with my airbrush.  You can also use Tim Holtz Blending Fluid, but I didn't wants the rings you get when using the blender fluid and I didn't want to use a blender tool.

You can use a straw, canned air, a bulb type brush marker sprayer or airbrush to move the ink around...or if you don't have access to any of those, you can just tilt your card back and forth to make the inks run together and cover the card.  

Finished Alcohol Ink Background over Ranger Texture Paste
I used my Cricut to cut the feelin' GROOVY sentiment out of a coordinating green cardstock.  Cricut Design Space has a fun selection of 60s images and sayings.  I found one I liked and sized it to fit the card and cut 3 copies which I layered to give it more dimension.  
feelin' GROOVY
 After layering I applied a generous layer of Rock Candy Stickles and smooshed it flat on the letters with my fingers, giving it a bit of texture to contrast with the smooth and shiny background.

Final Card #1
I used the same green cardstock to add an extra layer of dimension to the card and mounted it to a white card base.

Next I decided to try some of Hobby Lobby's Master's Touch Modeling Paste on the Yupo.  

 

As you can see it too has a smooth and creamy texture and it was sooooo... easy to use with the stencil. 
This modeling paste dries white and with a tiny bit of texture, not clear and glossy like the Ranger Texture Paste.

Finished Background
Mary Kay of A Colorful Life Designs and I had been chatting about white on white cards and how great they looked, so I decided to do something out of the ordinary for a 60s card and make it all white.  I used my Cricut again to cut out the words and elements, using Yupo for the peace sign and the flowers, and Neenah cardstock for the word PEACE.  I layered it on a layer of Neenah white cardstock and then to a white card base.  


I'm really digging this card!!!

While creating the card above I had a little bit of modeling paste left on my palette knife so I grabbed another piece of Yupo and just smeared it across through the stencil before I cleaned it off.  I knew that it was going to be messy and wouldn't give a full coverage so I grabbed some pearlescent acrylic ink in a rosy color and smooshed it with my finger through the stencil while the modeling paste was still wet, making for a very messy but fun background.
I set it aside to dry while I completed the white on white card.  
Once the background was dry I added Alcohol Inks, Pearl Inks and some Pinata Brass.  I also used my Cricut to cut the phrase out of Yupo and colored it using the same inks and Pinata Brass.  Sorry no step-out pictures during this stage.  I was in the groove and forgot!!

But I did get a picture of the finished piece before it was mounted to the 5x5 card base.




I hope you enjoyed today's post and found some inspiration.  Would love to see what you create with A Colorful Life Design Stencils.


I'll leave you with a little peak of a post to come...

Comments

Kia's Place said…
These cards worked out so beautifully ... loving the Mod look.

Popular posts from this blog

I Sing the Song of my People...

Tim Holtz -Tag Tags of 2013

Mixing it Up loves Cottonwood Arts